Sunday, March 31, 2013

Class Reflections Week 5


I had not heard of Action Research prior to this course but now understand the significance of it. I have learned that action research involves clearly defining a problem, gathering data, evaluating the data, reading others findings on the topic, making change based on the data and sharing information gained with others. Action research is a good tool for teachers and administrators to use for professional development. It allows for collaboration among coworkers to solve current issues in the classroom or on campus. It allows teachers and principals to focus on the problems at hand. They are able to design the research project, collect useful data and analyze it. Teachers are often more receptive to change based on action research because they feel ownership in the findings.  Action research also provides for professional growth. It allows the principal to fell less isolated and allows him/her to collaborate with others about current situations at hand. It allows the principal to lead by example and help explore practices to make them the best they can be. There are multiple areas for action research. They include: staff development, curriculum development, individual teacher(s), individual student(s), school culture/community, leadership, management, school performance, and social justice or equity issues.

I met with my supervisor to discuss possible topics, they include: 1. How can we get teachers and administrators on the same page in regards to discipline? Is there a school wide discipline plan that needs to be put in place? 2. How does flipped instruction benefit students? Is it a feasible option in our school setting? and 3. How can we increase technology use in the classroom? We discussed the three topics and their significance in relation to our school. While increasing technology in education is important, my principal heavily suggested I look into the flipped classroom model. He wants me to pilot it and see how it works and possibly look at helping other teachers move to the flipped model when we have iPads. I hope to be able to answer questions like does it increase student engagement, what are the pros and cons of a flipped classroom, is it feasible in a school that is not 1:1, does it promote student academic success, how does the preparation time compare to a typical lesson, and what are the best websites to use for flipped instruction. My principal has asked me to start using a flipped classroom model and to see how it would benefit our students. While this is becoming a trend in education, I think it could be very useful with my subject I teach 8th grade math and Algebra I. My students complain my parents can't help me with my homework and my parents constantly tell me it’s been to long since I did that. With a flipped classroom model, students would watch a 5-8 minute video on the new topic and then we would do the application (homework) in class. This would give the parents great insight on what their child is studying and it would allow the students 50 minutes in class to work on the application of the new concept. I hope to answer questions like How does flipped instruction benefit students in the math classroom? What are the pros and cons of flipped instruction? Does it increase student participation, motivation and engagement? Does it promote student academic success? Is it a feasible option in a school with limited resources (low socioeconomically). How does the preparation time for teachers compare to that of a typical lesson? What are the best websites to use for flipped instruction? As well as any other questions that may come up along the way. I then developed a plan that included Goals and objectives/ outcomes of the research investigation, Activities designed to achieve the objectives Resources and research tools needed for data gathering, Draft timeline for completion or implementation of activities, Persons responsible for implementation of the action research plan, Process for monitoring the achievement of goals and objectives, and Assessment instrument(s) to evaluate the effectiveness of the action research study.

While carrying out my plan I will be using my blog http://mathclassontheflipside.blogspot.com to post about my progress. Sharing findings from educational research has been described as a “ripple effect” (Dana, 2009, p. 136).  I plan on meeting with the director of curriculum and instruction once a month to discuss progress. I also plan on meeting with my site supervisor once a month to discuss progress. I teach at one of three middle school campuses in the district and I have already been asked to share my findings with the other campuses principals and instructional facilitators when I have a final presentation to share. I also plan on presenting my findings to all teachers at my school during professional development. While presenting to principals, instructional facilitators and other teachers, I will make sure to include background information, the design of the project, data to support the findings and thoughts on the project (Dana, 2009, p. 163-168). My background information will include statements from parents such as ‘I was never good in Algebra I can’t help my kid with their homework’ and comments from students like ‘I get so frustrated with my math homework’. Statements like these are the reason I wanted to look into a flipped classroom, and so that parents can see what their students are learning and to help alleviate the frustration with homework. One of the most beneficial meetings was meeting in week 4 with my supervisor; she gave me the names of two high school math teachers that are currently using the flipped model. I have added these two names to my plan to speak with to gain insight on flipped instruction. We also spoke about using an outside website or you tube and that I needed to speak with our technology coordinator to get this approved. I am looking forward to this project and the change that will follow.

 
Dana, N.F. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal Action Researcher. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment